Recently you may have heard us mention that 92% of the children we served last year had a specific need related to being older than 5 years, having medical or developmental diagnoses, having a history of abuse/neglect, or having siblings. Without an organization like WACAP, these children might have no one in their corner, and life is hard without a family. WACAP’s Every Child Fund fuels efforts ensuring that all children, regardless of age, location or health status, have a chance at joining a permanent and loving family.
When you donate to the Every Child Fund, it enables WACAP to reduce or eliminate barriers that stand between a child and their future family. With the aid of this fund we’re able to:
- Advocate: Many potential adoptive families have never considered adopting a child with special medical or developmental needs. WACAP works on behalf of these children, to match them with the permanent families they deserve.
- Innovate: WACAP employs technology, social media and networking to find new ways to spread the word about children who continue to wait for families.
- Connect: our dedicated team of family finders is able to reach out to hundreds of potential families for a child with the click of a button, through online and special interest groups, and our own network of previous adoptive families.
- Create: Our staff and volunteers compile medical and background information, as well as photos and videos to create a compelling file for each child in need of a family.
- Fund: When finances are the last remaining barrier between a child and their family, these resources will make permanency a real possibility.
Over the last 40 years, WACAP has found families for over 11,400 children. Without WACAP’s advocacy work, many of these children might still be languishing in orphanages or foster care. WACAP has seen success finding families for children with needs such as Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, spina bifida, and limb differences along with many other medical and developmental needs. WACAP is also known for our success in moving quickly to find families for children at risk of aging out of orphanage care.
At the heart of the Every Child Fund is WACAP’s belief that there truly is a family for every child, and with the right people and the right tools in place, that family can always be found.
About WACAP’s Vice President of Fund Development, Mary Duncan: Mary Duncan first volunteered with WACAP in 1993, working at an orphanage in Romania and soon after, joined WACAP’s staff as a case manager. Also an adoptive aunt and adoptive sister, Mary continued to serve children and families at WACAP as a supervisor in adoption programs and in family recruitment. Now as Vice President of Fund Development, she enjoys the opportunity to interact with donors and supporters and sharing about WACAP’s transformational work for children.